Monday 1 April 2013

Black and White illustration

As per usual I've hit a blank spot. I'm struggling with the layout of my designs but  I'm not gonna let it get me this time! The zine must be in B&W so my intentions are to look at black and white illustrations.  Some artist such as Aubrey Beardsley work entirely in black and white. Artist such as Mcbess use more of a grey scale palette; black and white dominates but there are other shades.
I have already begun research into previous zine work, the most appealing to me was a girl called Lize Meddings, she too produced a sketch show style zone. Minimal text and simple imagery.
Here are a few photos I took of her work. This is the pattern work on the inside of the zine, it occurs on both the back and front. It appeals strongly to me and I wish to use this technique in my own work with some of my character design.
The next three images are just some ways of how the pages have been laid out. single pages, with and without boarders, double page spreads and various combinations. Its nice to have a look at a previous design because it opens your mind to what needs to be considered a lot more.





1 comment: